19-22 May 2019
GEM 2019 Xiʹan:
International Workshop on Gravity, Electrical & Magnetic Methods and Their Applications
GEM Beijing 2011 and GEM Chengdu 2015 attracted large numbers of abstract submissions and participants from around the world. Since GEM 2015, the last few years have witnessed the exciting development and application of machine learning techniques to geoscience problems in the midst of an extended period of downturns in oil and mining industries. In the face of great challenges and opportunities, GEM 2019 is targeted to be an international forum for geophysicists to communicate the latest developments and exchange ideas in potential fields and electromagnetics. Specifically, the goal of GEM 2019 Xi’an is to bring together geophysics researchers and practitioners from academia, government agencies, resource companies, and contractors to share the latest technological and methodological advancements and their successful applications to practical problem solving, and to inspire discussions among the participants about the best practices of turning electromagnetic, gravity, and magnetics data into value-added information. We also expect this workshop to serve as a platform for geophysicists to reflect on the roles that these methods can play in the era of big data and artificial intelligence.
Xiʹan is the oldest of the Four Great Ancient Capitals of China and the starting point of the famed Silk Road. Xiʹan boasts a great wealth of historical and cultural heritages, as well as its world-class tourist attractions such as the Terracotta Army of Emperor Qin Shi Huang and nearby Huashan Mountain for adventurous hiking.
Learn more about Xi'an.
Chang’an University is located in the historical city center of Xi’an. Famous tourist attractions such as Big Goose Pagoda (or Giant Wild Goose Pagoda), Shaanxi History Museum, and Tang Paradise are all within a walking distance from Chang’an University.
19 May 2019
20 May 2019
21 May 2019
22 May 2019
Technical sessions and workshop concludes
Xiong Li, CGG
Yaoguo Li, Colorado School of Mines
Chair of the Local Organizing Committee
Xiu Li, Changʹan University
Chair of the Technical Committee
Jiajia Sun, University of Houston
Ed Biegert, Shell Emeritus
Dan DiFrancesco, Lockheed Martin
Benjamin Drenth, United States Geological Survey
Jörg Ebbing, Kiel University
Colin Farquharson, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Zhanxiang He, BGP of CNPC
Xiangyun Hu, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan)
Guimin Liu, BHP
Qingtian Lv, Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences
James Macnae, RMIT University
Xiaohong Meng, China University of Geosciences (Beijing)
Antony Price, Total
Adalene Moreira Silva, Universidade de Brasília
Susan Webb, University of the Witwatersrand
Yixian Xu, Zhejiang University
Society of Exploration Geophysicists
Chinese Geophysical Society
- Academic Exchange Center, Main Campus of Chang’an University
- Bosheng Lecture Hall, Library, Yanta Campus of Chang’an University
- 313, Geosciences Technology Building, Yanta Campus of Chang’an University
(Main Campus) Middle Section of South 2nd Road, Yanta District, Xi’an, Shaanxi, China
(Yantan Campus) Mid Yucai Road, Yanta District, Xi’an, Shaanxi, China
Rooms have been reserved in the following three hotels. Please kindly reserve your room in advance due to meeting the peak season, and note “GEM 2019” while booking.
Holiday Inn Xi’an Big Goose Pagoda (workshop hotel, next to Chan'an University)
Address: No. 398 East Section of South 2nd Road, Yanta District, Xi’an, 710061, China
Superior room (one king bed, breakfast for one person): RMB450.00 per night.
Superior room (two twin beds, breakfast for two persons): RMB550.00 per night.
To reserve rooms through the Local Organizing Committee, contact information are as follows:
For attendees outside of China, please email Ms. Lv, at email@example.com.
For Chinese attendees, please email Ms. Hu, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Distance: about 1000m to the workshop venue
due before 1 April 2019
Delegate: US$480.00 (RMB3000.00)
Student: US$290.00 (RMB1800.00)
after 1 April 2019
Delegate: US$580.00 (RMB3600.00)
Student: US$370.00 (RMB2300.00)
Register online and pay in USD.
Register offline and pay in Chinese RMB, contact email@example.com and ask for the register form in Chinese.
Visa Information/Invitation Letter
If you need an invitation letter for a Chinese visa application, please send an email to GEM2019@seg.org and provide the following information:
- Full name (as appears on the passport)
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Passport expiration date
- Mailing address and phone number
- A proposed or confirmed itinerary
The deadline for requesting an invitation letter is 1 April 2019.
How to Get There
Please download this PDF file, for the following information:
- The location and contact information of Holiday Inn Xi’an Big Goose Pagoda
- The location of Chang’an University. Its Yanta Campus Library will be the main Workshop venue.
- A map of route from Xi’an Xianyang International Airport to Holiday Inn Xi’an Big Goose Pagoda.
- A map of route map from Xi’an North Railway Station to Holiday Inn Xi’an Big Goose Pagoda.
For more information and inquiries, please email us at: GEM2019@seg.org
- Methodologies and Technologies
- Gravity, electrical, electromagnetic, magnetic, and magnetic resonance methods
- Instrumentation (land, marine, airborne, and borehole) and field data acquisition
- Processing, modeling, inversion, and interpretation algorithms
- Integrated interpretation and joint inversion of multiple data sets
- Oil and Gas Exploration and Production
- Hydrocarbon prospect generation
- Structural studies
- Exploration in difficult areas
- Time-lapse reservoir monitoring
- Unconventional oil and gas
- Mining and Geothermal Applications
- Reconnaissance and regional structure mapping
- Lithology and geology differentiation and characterization
- Exploration under cover and at depth
- Deposit delineation and characterization
- Geothermal exploration and production monitoring
- Groundwater Resources
- Groundwater mapping and exploration
- Aquifer system characterization and management
- Environmental and Engineering
- Geotechnical applications
- Carbon capture and storage
- Archaeology studies
- Geohazard imaging and monitoring
- Constraining geophysical inversions
- Interpretation of geophysical models
- Machine learning and data analytics
- Integrating multiple sources of information
- Automating and accelerating data processing and modeling
- Pattern recognition in geophysical data and models
- Characterizing uncertainty
Six keynote speakers have been invited to present at the workshop. The speakers and the titles of their presentations are:
Machine Learning Methods for Geoscience Applications
Geologically Consistent Inversion of Geophysical Data: A Role for Joint Inversion
Advances Towards Useful Airborne Induced Polarization Surveys
Gravity and Magnetic Signatures of the Shallow Cover Area of Jining, Inner Mongolia and their Mining Application
Insights into Global and Regional Earth Processes from Bushveld Complex Geophysical Studies
Electromagnetic Precursor Anomaly before Jiuzhaigou Ms7.0 Earthquake and the Aftershocks in Sichuan Province Observed using a New EM Observation Network in China
An Evening on Diversity
Opening Our Eyes to Diversity and Equality in Geophysics Around the World
Coordinators: Elizabeth Maag-Capriotti and Aline T. Melo
Have you ever considered what it is like to be a geophysicist on the other side of the world? Have you ever considered the challenges faced by the opposite gender? Join us for an eye-opening experience to explore the state of diversity and gender equality across the globe. The evening will feature a panel of geophysicists from different regions of the world. Each will share their personal experiences and offer advice on questions and challenges presented by the audience. A networking session will follow for further discussion on how to improve the global efforts for equality in geosciences.
Sponsorship and Exhibition
There will be opportunities for companies and organizations to sponsor the workshop. The workshop will provide spaces for showcasing your businesses and services.
The standard exhibition booth size is 3 m by 2 m. The price for a standard booth is US$2500.00 (RMB16000.00).
For more information and inquiries, please email us at: GEM2019@seg.org